Unable to pay bill
Worried about paying your bill?
We understand that sometimes, your circumstances change. If you’re worried about paying your bill, please call us on 4455 from your Tesco Mobile phone or 0345 301 4455 from another phone. We are here to help.
Speaking to us early will help prevent any possible restrictions to your account. We have included some helpful numbers under ‘General Advice’ below if you need the help of free, impartial debt advice services.
We’ll be able to talk you through your options and find one that’s right for you. This could be:
- Deferring your payments for a period of time
- Changing your bill date
- Moving from pay monthly to pay as you go (you’d still need to pay any phone payments you have left)
- Staying on pay monthly but moving onto a lower tariff
- Reducing your monthly safety buffer, if you have one
- Setting up a payment plan
Deferring your bill
If you’re looking to defer your bill, please log in to My Account and go to the ‘Bills and payments’ section.
Paying after your deferral runs out
If you defer your bill, it may mean that you will eventually have to make more payments than usual in the same month.
Payments that were overdue when you deferred will need to be paid separately when your deferral runs out.
Setting up a payment plan
You can spread the cost of paying the overdue amount with a payment plan, which will reduce the amount you need to pay each month.
How payment plans and deferrals affect your Tesco Mobile account
- Your upgrade options, Family Perks and bundles may be paused whilst your account is in arrears or, either a payment plan or deferral in place
- You will be able to view your upgrade options 90 days after your payment plan or deferral has ended and your account is no longer in arrears
- You can make ad-hoc payments anytime
- If you don’t pay your payment plan, you’ll be at risk of having your service restricted and/or disconnected
- Your payment plan will appear on your credit file
What happens at the end of the plan?
If you’ve got a separate phone contract (your Phone Credit Agreement), depending on the plan you choose, your normal phone payments may accrue during your payment plan and form arrears on your account. This amount will be added to your final phone payment. If you want to reduce this amount, you can make ad hoc payments during the rest of your contract.
Your credit file
Missed payments could affect your credit rating and make it more difficult to get credit in future.
Setting up a payment deferral may impact your credit file or upgrade eligibly with Tesco Mobile.
We may report to the credit reference agencies that you are in a payment arrangement with us and therefore this could affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.
What happens if my account is disconnected?
If your Tesco Mobile account is disconnected due to non-payment of your bills, your debt will be passed to one of our service partners. You’ll be able to arrange an affordable payment plan when they get in touch.
If you find yourself in a state of insolvency or bankruptcy while you are with Tesco Mobile, please contact Customer Care on 4455 from your Tesco Mobile phone and they’ll be able to help you.
If you’re a business customer, please call us on 0345 601 2448.
If you are struggling with debt in general and need help, you can seek advice from the following organisations:
Money Advice Service – 0800 138 7777
AdviceUK – 0300 777 0107
Citizens Advice – Use the link to find your local centre
National Debtline – 0808 808 4000
StepChange Debt Charity – 0800 138 1111
These charities offer free, impartial advice and can even create affordable repayment plans to help you manage your debts. You may want to consider completing a budget form, like this, before calling one of these charities.