Cap your contract
What are Capped contracts?
Capped contracts give you the peace of mind that you’ll never overspend and end up with a bill that’s higher than you expected.
When you cap your bill, you choose a zero bill cap or safety buffer. This sets how much you want to spend each month on things not included in your monthly allowance, from zero to £100. Your bill will then be capped at this amount each month. If you choose a safety buffer you’ll have the flexibility to do extra things, but if you choose a zero bill cap, you won’t be able to do anything except use your monthly allowances.
How does a Capped contract work?
The tariff you choose sets your monthly allowance of minutes, texts and data. If you need to use more minutes, texts or data, your safety buffer sets a limit on how much you can spend. If you’ve chosen a zero bill cap, once you’ve used up your allowances you won’t be able to use any more.
There are also chargeable things that aren’t included in your allowances, which you can do until you’ve used up your safety buffer. But if you’ve set a zero bill cap, you can’t do any of these.
These are the things that aren’t included in your allowances…
- Sending picture messages
- Calling or texting premium rate numbers
- Calling 101
- Calling numbers starting 05, 084, 087, 09, 076 and 070
- Calling numbers starting 077000, 078221, 078225, 078921, 078730, 078930, 078931, 079112, 079118, 079245, 079246 and 079879
- Calling 118 numbers
- Making international calls
- Calling, texting or using data outside our Home From Home destinations
Once you’ve used up your safety buffer or if you’ve got a zero bill cap, to do all these things you’ll need to make a payment or increase your safety buffer. Don’t worry, you’ll always be able to receive calls and texts.
We’ll text you if you’re close to using up any of your allowances, and again if you use any of them up. We’ll also text you when you add, change or remove a safety buffer or zero bill cap.
Can I still use my phone abroad if I’m on a Capped contract?
- Yes, no problem. If you’re in any of our 48 Home From Home destinations, you can use your allowances just like you would at home. After that, you’ll pay standard UK rates, which will come out of your safety buffer. If you’ve got a zero bill cap, you won’t be able to use more than your allowances
- If you’re outside our Home From Home destinations, you’ll pay the standard rates for the country you’re in until you’ve used up your safety buffer. If you’ve got a zero bill cap, you won’t be able to use your phone, except to call free numbers in country
If you want to do more, you can add or increase your safety buffer or make a payment.
If you want to keep even more control of your bill while you’re away, you can turn off data roaming on your phone.
How can I check how much of my allowance I’ve used?
To find out how many minutes, texts or data you’ve got left at any time, you can…
- Log into My Account
- Use our Tesco Mobile app
- Text the word BALANCE to 2112 free from your Tesco Mobile phone
- Call 4488 free
What happens if I remove my safety buffer or zero bill cap?
If you remove your safety buffer or zero bill cap altogether, your bill won’t be capped, so you can spend as much as you like, up to your high usage limit.