Dealing with nuisance calls and texts
To help you deal with nuisance calls, here are a few practical tips:
- Don’t say your name or number when you answer. Just say ‘hello’
- Don’t leave your name or contact number on your voicemail
- Let callers identify themselves first
- If someone asks you to confirm your number, ask them to say what number they want and then tell them whether they’re right or wrong
If you keep getting nuisance calls, remember…
- Keep calm. By keeping calm and showing no emotion you may put them off
- Don’t say anything when you answer. Some nuisance callers just want to have a conversation
- Put your mobile down calmly and ignore it for a few minutes. Then end the call or switch your mobile off. This often puts off nuisance callers, especially when they realise they’re wasting time and money
- Nuisance callers hide behind the phone – most would be too scared to say the same things to your face
The communications regulator Ofcom has more helpful advice on tackling nuisance calls.
Which? also has information on identifying the type of call and where to complain.
If you still have problems, please call us on 4455 from your Tesco Mobile phone and our Nuisance Call Bureau will investigate.
Malicious, abusive or threatening calls, whether from people you know or strangers, are a criminal offence. If the caller is making direct threats to you or your family and you believe those threats to be real and immediate, call 999 straightaway.
If you believe the threats are not immediate, then you should call your local police station on 101 from any landline or mobile.
When you talk to the police, you’ll need to give them all the information you have, including:
- The numbers that have contacted you
- What was said or sent
- Dates and times of calls and texts
- If you know the people doing this
If the phone numbers are being withheld, the police may advise you to contact us and we’ll arrange to trace the calls. We’ll then send this information to the police (and only the police) to help your case. You’ll need to give us:
- Your name and number
- A description of the calls or texts
- Dates and times you received them