Privacy and Cookies Policy
At Tesco Mobile, we’re working hard to serve shoppers a little better every day. Looking after the personal data you share with us is a hugely important part of this. We want you to be confident that your data is safe and secure with us, and understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised experience.
We reserve the right to change this policy at any time, so please check back regularly to keep informed of updates to this policy.
The Data Controller is Tesco Mobile Limited (collectively referred to as “we” or “us” in this Policy).
We are committed to doing the right thing when it comes to how we collect, use and protect your personal data. That’s why we’ve developed this privacy and cookies policy (“Policy”), which:
- sets out the types of personal data that we collect;
- explains how and why we collect and use your personal data;
- explains when and why we will share personal data within the Tesco Group and with other organisations; and
- explains the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal data.
We offer different products and services, so we want you to be clear about what the Policy covers. If you use our services(referred to in this Policy as “our Services”). Using our Services means: —
- shopping with us over the phone, or online or otherwise use any of the websites (“our Website”) or mobile applications (“our Mobile Apps”) where this Policy is posted; or
- Use our mobile communications network (the “Network”)
This Policy also applies if you contact us or we contact you about our Services.
Some other parts of our business and other Tesco Group companies may need to collect and use personal data to provide you with their products and services and for certain other purposes. They have their own privacy policies that explain how they use your personal data.
This section tells you what personal data we may collect from you when you use our Services and what other personal data we may receive from other sources.
|When you register for our Services, you may provide us with –||
|When you shop with us ( in our stores, over the phone or online) or browse our Website or use our Mobile Apps, we may collect –||
|When you use Clubcard to shop with us, or redeem Clubcard vouchers or coupons, we may collect –||
|When you contact us or we contact you or you take part in promotions, competitions, surveys or questionnaires in relation to our Services, we may collect –||
|When you use our Network –||
Other sources of personal data
We may also use personal data from other sources, such as specialist companies that supply information, online media channels, our Retail Partners and public registers. For example, this other personal data helps us to —
- review and improve the accuracy of the data we hold;
- improve and measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising.
We also access Clubcard information from Tesco Stores and may access information where permissible from Tesco Bank. We may take this information into account when assessing credit risk. For example, we may take into account a Clubcard holder’s loyalty reflected in Clubcard transactions. This means that Clubcard information can improve your eligibility for our credit and insurance products.
We will also receive your personal data from any friend of yours who recommends you as part of our Recommend a Friend programme.
|We use personal data to||This means that processing your personal data allows us to||Do we have to process your personal data in this way?|
|Make our services available to you||Manage the accounts you hold with us, check whether you qualify for credit or our products are appropriate for you, and process your orders and refunds
Please see further information below about how we use and share your data with credit reference agencies.
|We need to process your personal data so that we can manage your customer accounts, provide you with the goods and services you want to buy (including assessing and deciding on whether we can give you and members of your household credit, credit-related services, or insurance) and to help you with any orders and refunds that you may request.
Why we are using this data (Legal Basis):
*applies to this section
|Manage your connection to our Network and to get in touch with you if we need to tell you about any problems with the Network||We need to process your personal data so that we can connect you to and improve the operation of the Network.
We also need to process your network usage data (calls, texts, and data usage) to generate accurate monthly bills or accurately decrement from any prepayments made for the use of our services.
Why we are using this data (Legal Basis):
*applies to this section
|Help to develop and improve our product range, services, stores, information technology systems, know-how and the way we communicate with you||We rely on the use of personal data to carry out market research and internal research and development, and to improve our information technology systems(including security) and our product ranges, servicesand stores. This allows us to serve you better as a customer.|
|Detect and prevent fraud, money laundering or other crime
See further information below about how we use and share your data with fraud prevention agencies
|It is important for us to monitor how our Services are used to detect and prevent fraud, other crimes and the misuse of services. This helps us to ensure that youcan safely use our Services. We also need to comply with laws that apply to us|
|Recover any money you might owe us including assigning your debt to permitted debt collection agencies.||Obtaining payment for our Services ensures we can continue to meet our obligations to our customers and cover our costs for providing the Services.|
|Personalise your Tesco Mobile experience||Use your online browsing behaviour as well as your in-store and online purchases (including accessing your Clubcard transactions) to help us better understand you as a customer and provide you with personalised offers and services.||Looking at your browsing behaviour and purchases allows us to personalise our offers services for you. This helps us meet your needs as a customer.
Why we are using this data (Legal Basis):
*applies to this section
|Provide you with relevant marketing communications (including by text, email, post or online advertising), relating to our products and services, and those of our suppliers, Retail Partners and Tesco Group. As part of this, online advertising may be displayed on websites across the Tesco Group and on other organisations’ websites and online media channels. We may also measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications and those of our suppliers and Retail Partners.||We want to ensure that we provide you with marketing communications, including online advertising, that are relevant to your interests. To achieve this we also measure your responses to marketing communications relating to your products and services we offer, which also means we can offer you products and servicesthat better meet your needs as a customer.
You can change your marketing choices, both when you register with us, and at any time after that You also have choices when it comes to online advertising. We set out below your choices when it comes to cookies, and how you can control your behavioural advertising preferences
|Provide you with any additional support requirements to help you manage your account with us.||Collecting this information allows us to provide you with additional support requirement such as alternative billing formats.|
|Contact and interact with you||Contact you about our Services, for example by phone, email, online or post or responding to social media posts that you have directed at us.||We want to serve you better as a customer so we use personal data to provide clarification or assistance in response to your communications.
Why we are using this data (Legal Basis):
*applies to this section
|Manage promotions and competitions you take part in, including those in collaboration with our suppliers and Retail Partners.||We need to process your personal data so that we can manage the promotions and competitions you choose to enter.|
|Invite you to participate in and manage customer surveys, questionnaires and other market research activities carried out by the Tesco Group and by third parties on our behalf.||We carry out market research to improve our Services. However, if we contact you about this, you do not have to take part in the activities. If you tell us that you do not want us to contact you for market research, we will respect this choice. This will not affect your ability to use our Services or your Clubcard.|
|We will also receive your personal data from any friend of yours who recommends you as part of our Recommend a Friend programme.||We carry out market research to improve our Services. However, if we contact you about this, you do not have to take part in the activities. If you tell us that you do not want us to contact you for market research, we will respect this choice. This will not affect your ability to use our Services or your Clubcard.
We need to process personal data as requested by your friend, and they have promised that they have your permission.
This section explains how and why we share personal data with Credit Reference Agencies
We and our service providers will search your record at credit reference agencies who will supply us with credit information,as well as information from the Electoral Register, about you. We may use credit scoring or other automated decision-making systems when assessing your application and to verify your identity. Credit searches and other information which is provided to us and/or the credit reference agencies, about you and those with whom you are linked financially may be used by us and other companies on an ongoing basis to make other credit decisions about you, or other members of your household to support responsible lending. This information may also be used for debt tracing and the prevention of fraud and money laundering as well as the management of your account. Information held about you by the credit reference agencies may already be linked to records relating to one or more of your partners and you may be treated as financially linked, which means your application will be assessed with reference to any associated records. Prior to such an assessment you will first need to get your partner’s consent before their information is disclosed. More information about Credit Reference Agencies and how they use personal information is available at www.equifax.co.uk/crain
This section explains how and why we share personal data with Fraud Prevention Agencies.
Full Fraud Prevention Notice
- Before we provide services, goods or financing to you, we undertake checks for the purposes of preventing fraud and money laundering, and to verify your identity. These checks require us to process personal data about you.
- The personal data you have provided, we have collected from you, or we have received from third parties will be will beused to prevent fraud and money laundering, and to verify your identity.
- Details of the personal information that will be processed, for example: name, address, date of birth, contact details,financial information, employment details, device identifiers including IP address and vehicle details.
- We and fraud prevention agencies may also enable law enforcement agencies to access and use your personal data to detect, investigate and prevent crime.
- We process your personal data on the basis that we have a legitimate interest in preventing fraud and money laundering, and to verify identity, in order to protect our business and to comply with laws that apply to us. Such processing is also a contractual requirement of the services or financing you have requested..
- Fraud prevention agencies can hold your personal data for different periods of time, and if you are considered to pose a fraud or money laundering risk, your data can be held for up to six years.
- As part of the processing of your personal data, decisions may be made by automated means. This means we may automatically decide that you pose a fraud or money laundering risk or if our processing reveals your behaviour to be consistent with money laundering or known fraudulent conduct; or is inconsistent with your previous submissions; or you appear to have deliberately hidden your true identity. You have rights in relation to automated decision making: if you want to know more please contact us using the details provided.
CONSEQUENCES OF PROCESSING
- If we, or a fraud prevention agency, determine that you pose a fraud or money laundering risk, we may refuse to provide the services and financing you have requested, or to employ you, or we may stop providing existing services to you
- A record of any fraud or money laundering risk will be retained by the fraud prevention agencies, and may result in othersrefusing to provide services, financing or employment to you. If you have any questions about this, please contact us on the details provided. .
- Whenever fraud prevention agencies transfer your personal data outside of the European Economic Area, they impose contractual obligations on the recipients of that data to protect your personal data to the standard required in the European Economic Area. They may also require the recipient to subscribe to ‘international frameworks’ intended to enable secure data sharing.
- Your personal data is protected by legal rights, which include your rights to object to our processing of your personal data; request that your personal data is erased or corrected; request access to your personal data.
- For more information or to exercise your data protection rights please, please contact us using the contact details provided.
- You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates the processing of personal data.
This section explains how and why we share personal data with other companies within the Tesco Group.
We may share the personal data we collect with other companies in the Tesco Group. For example, we share personal data with the following Tesco Group companies.
We may make information that we have collected about you available to Tesco Bank. This helps them to improve their service and make their communications more relevant to you.
Tesco Bank may use information we provide to determine the level of discounts offered on premiums for some insurance products. You can find more information about the way in which Tesco Bank uses data in its Privacy & Cookies Policy.
For customers that sign up to our Clubcard Plus service we will still use your data in the ways covered in the rest of this notice and your rights as covered in this notice remain the same. We collect and use your data to be able to deliver our services to you and to fulfil the terms of your subscription or offers. We will also share data about your Clubcard membership with Clubcard partners within the Tesco Group. This may include account information, products or services you have signed up to, your interactions with us (including communications and call recordings with our customer engagement centre) and other data we may require to run and maintain the scheme. As the Clubcard Plus scheme is for offers throughout Tesco Group, marketing communication with you may include elements of all Clubcard partners.
dunnhumby, part of the Tesco Group, is also one of our main service providers. dunnhumby help us to use personal data to help improve our understanding of customers and personalise your customer experience. You can find out more about what dunnhumby do here https://www.dunnhumby.com/about-us.
This section explains how and why we share personal data with Retail Partners and Service Providers.
When we share personal data with these companies we require them to keep it safe, and they must not use your personal data for their own marketing purposes.
|Retail Partners||We work with a number of Retail Partners who –
We only share personal data that enables our Retail Partner to provide their services. For example, we may share information about your purchases at Tesco to facilitate the delivery of personalised offers. Whilst Retail Partners can market their products and services to you via our Services, they must not use the personal data for their own direct marketing, and we require them to keep your personal data secure.
|Service Providers||We work with carefully selected Service Providers that carry out certain functions on our behalf. These include, for example, companies that help us with customer care services,network and technology services, storing and combining data, credit checking, processing payments and delivering orders.
We only share personal data that enable our Service Providers to provide their services.
Some of the Service Providers we work with operate online media channels, and they place relevant online advertising for our products and services, as well as those of our suppliers and our Retail Partners, on those online media channels on our behalf. For example, you may see an advertisement for our products and services as you use a particular social media site or watch television through your pay TV account.
This section explains how and why we share personal data with other organisations.
We may share personal data with other organisations in the following circumstances –
- if the law or a public authority says we must share the personal data;
- if we need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (this includes providing personal data to others for the purposes of preventing fraud and reducing credit risk);.
- to an organisation we sell or transfer (or enter into negotiations to sell or transfer) any of our businesses or any of our rights or obligations under any agreement we may have with you to. If the transfer or sale goes ahead, the organisation receiving your personal data can use your personal data in the same way as us; or
- to any other successors in title to our business.
- credit reference agencies: We will share details of your credit agreement with us, the payments you make under it and any default or failure to keep to its terms. The credit reference agency will record details of our search of their database, whether or not your application proceeds.
- fraud prevention agencies: If when placing an order with us false or inaccurate information is provided by you and fraud is identified or suspected, your details may be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
We know how important it is to protect and manage your personal data. This section sets out some of the measures we have in place
We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, and we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files to keep this data safe. We only authorise access to those employees who need it to carry out their job responsibilities.
- We protect the security of your information while it is being transmitted by encrypting it using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- We enforce physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal data. We will ask for proof of identity before we share your personal data with you.
- We will reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order
However, whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the internet to us.
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by companies operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our service providers. If we do this we ensure that your privacy rights are respected in line with this Policy. The most common way we do this is to put in place a specific type of contract, a sample copy of this type of contract can be found here ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/international-transfers/transfer/index_en.htm
We will not keep your personal data longer than we need to, how long this is depend on several factors, including:
- Why we collected it in the first place;
- How old it is;
- Whether there is a legal/regulatory reason for us to keep it;
- Whether we need it to protect you or us.
This section explains the choices you have when it comes to receiving marketing communications and taking part in market research.
We will send you relevant offers and news about our products and services in a number of ways including by email, post or text, but only if you have not objected to receiving marketing communications. When you register with us we will ask if you object to receive marketing communications, and you can change your marketing choices at anytime by calling 282 from your Tesco Mobile phone or visiting your https://preferences.tescomobile.com.
If you receive a Recommend a Friend communication from us because your friend has recommended you, you can ask to stop any other friends recommending you for 12 months (or until the promotion ends), after that, if you don’t become a Tesco Mobile customer, we will delete your contact details. Unless you join Tesco Mobile or otherwise sign-up to receive marketing separately from Recommend a Friend, we won’t send you any other communications.
We also like to hear your views to help us to improve our Services, so we may contact you for market research purposes. You always have the choice about whether to take party in our market research.
Cookies are small data files that allow a website to collect and store a range of data on your desktop computer, laptop or mobile device.
|Improve the way our Websites and Mobile Apps work||Cookies allow us to improve the way our Website and Mobile Apps so that we can personalise your experience and allow you to use many of their useful features.
|Improve the performance of our Websites and Mobile Apps||Cookies can help us to understand how our Website and Mobile Apps are being used, for example, by telling us if you get an error message as you browse.
These Cookies collect data that is mostly aggregated and anonymous .
Cookies used for this purpose are often placed on our Website by other organisations, and always with our permission. These Cookies may collect information about your online behaviour, such as your IP address, the website you arrived from and information about your purchase history or the content of your shopping basket. This means that you may see our adverts on our Websites and other organisations’ websites. You may also see adverts for other organisations on our Website.
To help us to deliver online advertising that is relevant to you, we may also combine data we collect through Cookies in the browser of your desktop computer or other devices with other data that we have collected, for example your use of Clubcard and in-store purchases.
|Measuring the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising||Cookies can tell us if you have seen a specific advert, and how long it has been since you have seen it. This information allows us to measure the effectiveness of our online advertising campaigns and control the number of times you are shown an advert.
Your choices when it comes to Cookies
You can use your browser settings to accept or reject new Cookies and to delete existing Cookies. You can also set your browser to notify you each time new Cookies are placed on your computer or other device. You can find more detailed information about how you can manage Cookies at the All About Cookies and YourOnlineChoices websites www.youronlinechoices.com/uk
If you choose to disable some or all Cookies, you may not be able to make full use of our Website. For example, you may not be able to add items to your shopping basket, proceed to checkout, or use any of our products and services that require you to sign in.
Where we display personalised adverts on other organisations’ websites, the AdChoices icon will usually be displayed. Clicking on this icon will provide you with specific guidance on how to control your online advertising preferences. Further information is available on the YourAdChoices website www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/.
You have a right to see the personal data we hold about you. This is called a Subject Access Request.
If you would like a copy of the personal data we hold about you, please contact us.
As the information held by the Credit Reference Agencies operating in the UK may differ, you may want to contact each agency at the contact information set out below:
- CallCredit, Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ or call 0870 0601414
- Equifax PLC, Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 3001, Bradford, BD1 5US or call 0870 010 0583 or log on to equifax.co.uk
- Experian, Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham NG80 7WF or call 0844 4818000 or log on to experian.co.uk
In relation to your personal data, you also have the right to:
- In some circumstances, to receive some of your information in a useable format and/or request we transmit that data to a third party where this is technically feasible – this is called data portability. Please note that this right only applies to information which you have provided to us.
- Ask that we update your information if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Ask that we erase your information in certain circumstances. Please note that there may be circumstances where you ask us to restrict the processing of your information, but we are legally entitled to refuse the request.
- The right to make a complaint with the Information Commissioner www.ico.org.uk if you think that any of your rights have been infringed.
The ICO website www.ico.org.uk contains more detail on the data protection rights mentioned above. Or if you would like to speak to us about these rights in more detail, see the “how to contact us” section below.
If you have any questions about how we collect, store and use personal data please contact us –
Phone: 0345 301 4455 or 4455 from a Tesco Mobile phone
Mail: Customer Care, Tesco Mobile Limited, Dumers Lane, Radcliffe, Bury BL9 9QL